- Knight-Wallace Fellow, The University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, 2006-07: Studied international economics in the developing world, and languages, including Spanish and Hindi.
- Finalist, Knight Fellowship, Stanford University, 2006-07
- Finalist, National Journalism Award in Public Service, Scripps Howard Foundation, “Dallas at the Tipping Point,” 2004
- Best Urban Article or Series, Civic Strategies Urban Journalism Awards, “Dallas at the Tipping Point,” 2004
- Best Urban Article of 2004, Center for Urban and Regional Policy, Northeastern University, “Dallas at the Tipping Point”
- Second Place, Outstanding Story, South Asian Journalists Association, “New Beginnings: A Freshman’s First Steps at UT,” 2000
- First Place, Community Service, Texas Associated Press Managing Editors Award, “United Against Crime,” 1998.